You may be wondering how to get to Aguas Calientes, because to get to Aguas Calientes there are currently 2 ways from the city of Cusco to Aguas Calientes:
- Bus route from Cusco – Hidroeléctrica and Hidroeléctrica by train or walking to Aguas Calientes.
- Train service from Cusco to Aguas Calientes in train companies such as PERU RAIL and INCA TRAIL through its 4 stations.
How to get from Cusco to Aguas Calientes
THE TRAIN ROUTE: It is the shortest, most popular and well known route for both domestic and foreign visitors. There are 2 companies providing this service: INCA RAIL and PERU RAIL with their respective train stations in Cusco.
- Ollantaytambo Station
- Poroy Station
- Wanchaq Station
- San Pedro Station
THE HYDROELECTRIC ROUTE, This route is also known as “the alternative route to Machupicchu by Hydroelectric” or “Amazon Route“. It is a trip of almost all day, with which you will need a hotel, lodging in Aguas Calientes a day before visiting Machupicchu and recover energy. It is mostly done by visitors who like adventure and hiking, not recommended for older people with problems and people with small children.
This route consists of well-marked sections:
- Cusco – Santa Maria
- Santa Maria – Santa Teresa
- Santa Teresa – Hydroelectric
- Hydroelectric – Hot water
Travel time from cusco to Aguas Calientes
- The bus service along the Hidroeléctrica route has an average duration of 1 day.
- Travel time by train from the city of Cusco to Aguas Calientes is 3 to 4 hours to the same station in Aguas Calientes.
How to get from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
There are 2 ways to get from Aguas Calientes to Machupicchu:
- The first is a 9 kilometer walk from the town of Aguas Calientes, which lasts 2 hours.
- The second and most used option is to take the bus service that allows you to arrive in 20 minutes from Aguas Calientes to the citadel of Machupicchu.
Time and Distance from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
- DISTANCE FROM AGUAS CALIENTES TO MACHUPICCHU ON FOOT: Walking time of 2 hours over a distance of 9 kilometers (5.59 miles).
- DISTANCE FROM AGUAS CALIENTES TO MACHUPICCHU BY BUS: Travel time of 20 minutes over a distance of 9 kilometers (5.59 miles) by dirt road or trail.
How to get from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes
The only way to get from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes is through the train service of Peru Rail and Inca Rail companies which operate their services from the same station of the same name in the town of Ollantaytambo.
To get to the Ollantaytambo station you must take a cab or bus from the city of Cusco to the town of Ollantaytambo where the station with the same name is located. The cost of the bus is approximately 20 soles per person, the buses are taken from Pavitos Street in the same city of Cusco.
If it is a cab or private transport the cost will be higher, depending on the type of vehicle and the number of people between 130 soles approximately. The travel time from Cusco to Ollantaytambo is approximately 2 hours.
Distance and time between Ollantaytambo and Aguas Calientes
The distance from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes is 32 kilometers and the travel time is 1 hour by rail.