Puca Pucara is also part of the Cusco city tour circuit so the visit to this archaeological site is guaranteed, the city tour will not only let you know Puca Pucara but also you can visit places like the cathedral of Cusco, the Qoricancha, Sacsayhuaman, Tambomachay and Qenqo.
Puca Pucara is located 6 kilometers from Cusco at 3580 meters above sea level.
Puca Pucara its name comes from the Quechua language which means “red fortress” due to the red color of its rocks and the color during the twilight. Puca Pucara was a construction of military architecture that also functioned as an administrative center, in it we can find terraces, Inca walls, stairways, and ceremonial centers.
How to do the tour to Puca Pucara?
- The easiest option is to purchase the City Tour to visit this archaeological site.
- Take the services of a travel agency for the realization of the tour in a private service.
- Take a private cab the cost can range between 20 to 25 soles remember if you go on your own remember to have on hand the tourist ticket that will allow you to enter Puca Pucara.
Puca Pucara Tourist Ticket
The partial tourist ticket circuit 1 includes the visit of the following archaeological sites: Sacsayhuaman, Qenqo, Puca Pucara and Tambomachay these places includes the tour of the City Tour Cusco, said ticket is valid for 1 day
- The partial tourist ticket circuit 1 for foreign tourists (BTCPI) costs s/ 70.00 nuevos soles rate 2022.
- The partial tourist ticket circuit 1 for national tourists (BTCPS) costs s/ 40.00 nuevos soles rate 2022.
Note: Due to the new rules of the tourist ticket there are no ticket sales for a specific archaeological site for that reason you must purchase the full ticket according to the place you want to visit, in this case the partial tourist ticket 1.
Why visit Pucapucará in Cusco?
Pucapucara was one of the administrative and entrance control centers to the city of Cusco in Inca times.